- Ph.D. - Virginia Tech (plant pathology, 1982)
- M.S. - West Va. Univ. (plant pathology, 1977)
- B.S. - Edinboro Univ. of PA. (biology/secondary education, 1974)
Extension Title: Extension Pesticide Coordinator & VTPP Director (since 1980)
Professor in VT Entomology Department (department member since 1995)
Administration of VTPP, extension/outreach (specialist in pesticide safety education, Editor - Journal of Pesticide Safety Education), research (environmental and health effects of pesticides, IR-4 State Liaison, Southern Region IPM Center - State Contact), teaching (graduate and undergraduate studies including primary instructor of AT0554 - Chemical Application).
As Director of Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs (VTPP) and Extension Coordinator of pesticide programming, I develop and deliver Extension programs in Pesticide Safety Education (public outreach, pesticide applicator training, integrated pest management (IPM), and farm worker protection); Experiment Station programs in Southern Region IPM Center (Specialty Crops At Risk Program), in the National Specialty Crop Pest Control Clearance Program (IR-4), and support of the CALS AREC research and farm staff; instructional programs for the CALS Agricultural Technology curriculum, undergraduate, and graduate education programs; and, International programs in Pest and Pesticide Management, including IPM-CRSP. Since 1980, I have served as principal investigator or co-investigator for over 150 projects totaling over $8 million. Primary research interests: history of pesticide and pest management technology as it relates to today; pest management information systems; transitional solutions to pest management; assessment of regulatory impact on agricultural production and pest management.
Positions and Honors
- 1980 – present - Professor & Director, Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs
- 09/77 – 08/80 -- Graduate Research Assistant, Chemical, Drug and Pesticide Unit, Extension Division, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg.
- 5/75 – 5/77 -- Graduate Assistant, Pesticides & Chemicals Office, Cooperative Extension Service, West Virginia University, Morgantown.
- 01/75 – 5/75 -- Lab Assistant, Dept. of Plant Pathology & Bacteriology, West Virginia University, Morgantown.
- 08/74 – 01/75 -- Substitute Teacher, Mercer County Schools, PA.
Other Experience and Professional Memberships:
- Southern IPM Center Steering Committee. 2009-, Southern IPM Center, Raleigh, NC. Member.
- Western Region IPM Center Grant Review Board. 2007. UC-Davis (CA). Member.
- USDA/CSREES IPM Center Mid-Term Review - Southern IPM Center. 2006. Member.
- USDA Pest Management Alternatives Program (PMAP) Grant Review Panel, 2005. Member.
- Funding Crisis Advisory Committee. 2004-05. American Assoc. Pesticide Safety Educators. Member.
- eXtension Institutional Team for Virginia. 2005-07. Member.
- Southern IPM Center Advisory Council. 2000-.Southern IPM Center, Raleigh, NC. Member, Chair (2011-12).
- Journal of Pesticide Safety Education.1999- American Assoc. Pesticide Safety Educators. Editor-in-Chief.
- American Association of Pesticide Safety Educators.1993 -. Charter member, webmaster, listmaster, historian. 1993-; Journal Evaluation Committee, Chair, 1998-99; Secretary, 1993-95; Co-Chair; 20th Anniversary Celebration, 2011; President-Elect, 2011-13; President, 2013-15; Immediate Past-President, 2015-16.
Awards and Recognitions:
- ACE National Superior (1989)
- ACE National First Place Awards for
Technology Programming (1990)
- ACE National First Place Awards for Technology Programming (1991)
- Gamma Sigma Delta Extension Award of Merit
- AAPSE Outstanding Service Award (1997)
- AAPSE Outstanding Service Award (2001)
- ADEC (national) Education Programs Award (2002)
- W. F. Murphy Technology Award (2004)
- Pesticide Stewardship Program Award (2007)
- Virginia Tech Alumni Association Extension Excellence Award (2007)
- Virginia Tech Spotlight on Achievement (2008)
- College of Agriculture & Life Sciences Andy Swiger Land Grant Award (2009)
University Exemplary Department Award (2010). Awarded to entomology department for excellence in education and international programs. (co-chaired awards submission committee, wrote submission.)
Communications Award (2010). Virginia Assn. of Agricultural Extension Agents/NAACA. For VTPP.ORG website.
- VDACS Award in Appreciation for Outstanding Service to the Commonwealth of Virginia as a member of the Virginia Pesticide Control Board (1999 to 2012) by Commissioner Matthew Lohr, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, April 18, 2012.