Pesticide Case Studies
Dursban Case Study - CBS News Report
In 1995, CBS News reported the concern over the use of chlorpyrifos (Dursban) insecticide and health effects.
CBS's Eye to Eye Series presented a documentary on the controversial use of chlorpyrifos insecticide and Dow Chemical's disclosure to EPA of poisoning cases. CBS presents a classic media created controversy by pitting the pros and the cons against one another. Players in the case included:
- the registrant, Dow Elanco Chemical Company,
- a former pesticide applicator,
- attorneys and experts working for all parties,
- individuals testifying about various health issues,
- scientists, and
- regulators (US Environmental Protection Agency).
This case offers a perspective into a typical pesticide-related controversy that was taken to full bloom on the part of all the players including the news media. You will see emotions and positions taken that are fed by fear, greed, political correctness, pride, arrogance, among others. This could serve as a model for any case study involving the use of pesticides.