W. B. Alwood
Alwood Homes on VPI (VAMC) Grounds
VPI faculty lived on campus throughout their tenure. Faculty Row was located along the circle of what is now the Virginia Tech Drillfield.
From his first days on campus, Professor Alwood and his family occupied the "Rock House" (later known as the Alwood house). That house was located away from Faculty Row - on the northeast end of the drillfield. In September 1899, Alwood and his family moved to a new house built for him in the old orchard (later occupied by Dr. Watson in 1902). At that point the offices of the president, commandant and treasurer were moved to the Rock House. That turned out to be a very fortunate move for the Alwood family for during the night of February 14, 1900, in spite of the efforts of the fire brigade, the Rock House was destroyed by fire. The conditions that night no doubt contributed to the disaster as the wind was blowing a gale and temperature was 10 degrees above zero. In the fall of 1902, another new house was built for Professor Alwood in the old "Solitude" orchard and Dr. Watson occupied his old house there. The new house was located just north of the Solitude mansion near the ice pond.