Send this page to someone
Fill in the email address of your friend, and we will send an email
that contains a link to this page.
In 2011, Dr. Eric Wiseman, Virginia Tech Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation, assembled a team of consulting arborists and interested scientists (see list below) to evaluate the health and future of the Alwood Oak. The team assembled on March 8, 2011 and came up with a comprehensive plan to preserve the tree, starting with a tree preservation day one month later (see photographs to the left). A formal report was written by Jordan B. Endahl, (Class of 2011, VT College of Natural Resources), who worked with Dr. Wiseman on an independent study project associated with the oak. Jordan published the plan in the summer of 2011 - linked HERE (PDF).
VISITING ARBORICULTURE EXPERTS
- Dr. Donald Booth*, Bartlett Tree Research Lab
- Mr. Keith W. Cline*, USDA Forest Service
- Mr. James Martin*, Growing Earth Professional Tree Care
- Mr. Luke D. McCall*, City of Richmond, Virginia
- Mr. Edward P. Milhous*, TreesPlease ®
- Ms. Kristina Salzman*, Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation
- Ms. Kathy von Bredow*, Walter I. Phillips, Inc.
- Mr. Hugh C. Whitehead*, Fairfax County, Virginia
Many thanks to the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture (MAC-ISA) for helping to organize the consultation visit from these esteemed members of the arboriculture community.
VIRGINIA TECH ADVISING FACULTY AND STAFF
- Dr. W. Lee Daniels, Dept. of Crop, Soil, and Environmental Sciences
- Dr. Susan D. Day, Dept. of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
- Mr. Matthew Gart, Office of University Architect
- Dr. J. Roger Harris, Dept. of Horticulture
- Dr. Alex Niemiera, Dept. of Horticulture
- Dr. R. Jay Stipes, Dept. of Plant Pathology, Physiology, and Weed Science (retired)
- Dr. Michael J. Weaver*, Dept. of Entomology
- Dr. P. Eric Wiseman*, Dept. of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
*Denotes those present for the assessment of the Alwood Oak on March 8th, 2011.