W. B. Alwood
The Alwood Oak - Dedicated Oct. 14, 2011
On October 14, 2011, Virginia Tech celebrated the life of William Bradford Alwood by dedicating the bur oak he planted sometime after 1895. The Alwood Oak was officially named and a certificate of recognition was read by Virginia Tech President Charles Steger. The recognition was issued by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors to officially recognize Professor Alwood.
- For more information on the planting of the Alwood Oak, click HERE.
- For a look at the collection of photographs and notes that led to the discovery of the Alwood Oak history, click HERE.
- To read a poem about the Alwood Oak written by Michael Stapor, VT Class of 2015, click HERE.
- Help us preserve the tree and the Alwood legacy - to give to the Alwood Fund, click HERE.
Two campus tree walks occurred as part of the Hokie Bugfest on Saturday, October 15, 2011. These included a tour of prominent campus trees including the Alwood Oak. Tours were hosted by Dr. Eric Wiseman, Virginia Tech Urban Forester, and Dr. R. Jay Stipes, Professor Emeritus, Plant Pathology at 11:30 am and 1:30 pm. It is estimated that over 50 people participated in the tours during the 2011 Hokie Bugfest.
- A map of the tours can be seen HERE.
The dedication was held on the Williams Hall lawn. The public was invited. The schedule was as follows:
Alwood Oak - Drillfield (open to the public)
- 3:45 pm - Gather at the Alwood Oak to socialize and view the tree.
- 4:00 pm - Ceremony began.
- Welcome and Overview - Michael Weaver, Professor, Entomology & Alwood Biographer
- BOV Citation of Recognition for Professor Alwood - Charles Steger, President, Virginia Tech
- Origin of the College and agriculture at Virginia Tech - Alan Grant, Dean, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Presentation by the Alwood Family - David Alwood
- Alwood Plaza plans, planting of bur oak seedlings, presentation of Alwood Oak markers - M. J. Weaver
- Music by Virginia Corp of Cadets String Ensemble - EnCorps - led by Cadet Allen Ernst
- 5:00 pm - Close
A shuttle took guests between the Inn and the dedication site.
Inn at Virginia Tech (by invitation)
- 5:30 pm - Social Hour - Inn at Virginia Tech
- 6:30 pm - Dinner
- 7:30 pm - Introductions and Alwood biography - M. J. Weaver
- 8:00 pm - dessert bar & socialize
- 9:00 pm - adjourn
- Contact was at the Inn at Virginia Tech. Online reservations for the event were available on a first come, first served basis. The group code (Alwood) provided a group rate ($149 - no minimum night stay).
- The backup lodging was at the Hilton Garden Inn in Blacksburg. The group code was the same as the Inn. Telephone contact information is: 877-STAY-HGI or 540-552-5005
Alwood Dedication and Memorial Committee
- Michael J. Weaver, Chair, Professor, Entomology & Director of Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- David E. Alwood, Plant Manager, Wako Chemicals USA; Virginia Tech Class of 1976; Alwood family representative (great-grandson)
- Jack Colston IV, Virginia Tech Sophomore, Mathematics & Alwood family representative (cousin)
- Matthew N. Gart, Landscape Architect, Assistant VP for Campus Planning, Space, & Real Estate, University Architect's Office
- Thea Glidden, Director of Communications and Marketing, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Lori Greiner, Communications Manager, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Tim Jordan, Ph.D. Candidate (Entomology), President, W.B. Alwood Entomological Society, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Jamie L. Cowell-Lucero, Director of Alumni Relations, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Vernon Meacham, Director of Development, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Alexander X. Niemiera, Associate Professor, Horticulture, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- R. Jay Stipes, Professor Emeritus, Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- James Wilson, Ph.D. Candidate, Vice President, W. B. Alwood Entomological Society, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- P. Eric Wiseman, Assistant Professor, Forest Resources & Environmental Conservation, College of Natural Resources & Environment
Former Committee Members
- Will Kuhn, Virginia Tech Class of 2011, Virginia Tech Department of Entomology
- Serena Ciparis, Virginia Tech Class of 2011, Virginia Tech Department of Entomology