Personal tools
You are here: Home Museum Early Days of Virginia's Extension Service Demonstration Agents at Virginia Tech

Early Days of Virginia's Extension Service

Established in 1914, Cooperative Extension was designed as a partnership between the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the land-grant universities, which were authorized by the Morrill Acts of 1862 and 1890. States have enabled local governments or organized groups in the nation's counties to become a third legal partner in this education endeavor. The congressional charge to Cooperative Extension through the Smith-Lever Act of 1914 is far ranging. Today, this educational system includes professionals in each of America's 1862 land-grant universities (in the 50 States, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, Micronesia, and the District of Columbia) and in the Tuskegee University and sixteen 1890 land-grant universities.

Demonstration Agents at Virginia Tech

Annual reports told the story of the times. They included the impacts of segregation, the depression, war, and the modernization of agricultural research and education. Here is a list of some of the first Extension agents, state specialists, and administrators in Virginia in 1915. Virginia Cooperative Extension was officially established under the Smith-Lever Act in 1914.

 
 

Demonstration Agents at Virginia Tech

January 1, 1915

J. D. Eggleston, Acting Director

T. O. Sandy, State Agent, Burkeville, VA

F. S. Farrar, District Agent, Jetersville, VA

W. C. Shackleford, District Agent, Proffit, VA

K. C. Moore, District Agent, Fredericksburg, VA

W. P. Moore, District Agent, Forest Depot, VA

NAME COUNTY POST OFFICE
B. G. Anderson
Appomattox Appomattox
Paul S. Blandford
Nansemond Driver
B. O. Bradshaw
Alleghany Covington
J. E. Brame
Mecklenburg Chase City
J. T. Bryant
South Hampton
Hansoms
T. D. Burfoot
Culpeper Culpeper
C. G. Burr
Prince Edward
Farmville
W. H. Burruss
Lee Jonesville
W. S. Campfield
Augusta Staunton
L. C. Catlett
Gloucester Gloucester
C. H. Chilton
Accomac Onancock
Kenny N. Ellis
Sussex
Waverly
C. L. Fowler
Fairfax Clifton Station
J. M. Gish
Roanoke Roanoke, RFD 2
P. O. Goodrich
Surry Surry
J. G. Grinels
Middlesex Grinels
C. P. Grizzard
Greensville Drewrysville
D. S. Harris
York Williamsburg
R. L. Holman
Buckingham Dillwyn
E. M. Hunter
Loudoun Lincoln
J. C. Hunter
Henrico Richmond, 711 W. Broad Street
E. B. Keely
Halifax Lennig
W. L. Kirby
Orange Gordonsville
C. E. Koontz
Frederick Winchester
A. C. Lyons
Isle of Wight
Windsor
W. O. Martin
Craig New Castle
W. E. McDonald
Campbell Rustburg
Frank Michaux
Powhatan Jordan's Store
E. S. Miles
Washington Abingdon
W. M. Perry
Pittsylvania Danville
F. L. Portlock
Norfolk Berkley
J. H. Quisenberry
Louisa Frederick Hall
Alfred Raut
Nottoway & Amelia
Burkeville
C. T. Rice
Bedford Waugh
A. P. Sibold
Giles Pearisburg
R. H. Simpson
Warren Front Royal
D. D. Sizer
Brunswick Lawrenceville
E. M. Slauson
James City
Williamsburg
A. B. Smith
King & Queen
Biscoe
S. P. Spain
Dinwiddie Church Road
J. C. Stiles
Wise Wise
Allen Temple
Prince George
Prince George C. H.
L. M. Walker
Albemarle Ivy Depot
B. A. Warriner
Rockbridge Lexington
W. W. Wilkins
Halifax Turbeville
T. A. Withers
Nelson Roseland
W. G. Wysor
Russell Lebanon
A. W. Yowell
Madison Peola Mills

Extension Department

John R. Hutcheson

Specialist in Animal Husbandry, Blacksburg

Dr. C. H. Hays

Hog Cholera Specialist, Burkeville

J. W. Kinghorne

Poultry Specialist, Richmond, American National Bank Building

G. S. Ralston

Specialist in Horticulture, Blacksburg

C. E. Seitz

Drainage Engineer, Richmond

Miss Ella G. Agnew

Girls' Canning Clubs, Burkeville, VA

Files
Document Actions
Virginia Cooperative Extension - Today

After 100 years of Extension history, Virginia Cooperative Extension is still a viable and valuable asset to the commonwealth and the nation.

VCE

 
cals logo VCE logo