Personal tools
You are here: Home FAQ Applicator Certification How do I become a Registered Technician?

How do I become a Registered Technician?

Applicators with limited experience must practice as a registered technician before they can become a fully certified commercial pesticide applicator.

Registered Technicians must have 40 hours of training.

- 20 hours of the 40 hours required is study based on the VA Core Manual. (This may be self-study, classroom or discussion organized for you by your trainer, or both.) You can order a Virginia Core Manual (Pub. #456-210) through the VCE Distribution Center. [ LINK TO MANUAL ORDERING OPTIONS ]

- In addition, prospective RTs must have at least 20 hours of on-the-job training. This training must include safe and proper handling of pesticides, under the direct, on-site supervision of a properly-certified Commercial Applicator. The CA trainer must be certified in a category corresponding to work the prospective RT will do.

At the end of your training, complete a Registered Technician application [PDF], sign it, and have whoever supervised you sign it. Mail completed application to VDACS along with payment ($30). In about 10 days you will receive a “letter of authorization”. You have 90 days from the date on the letter to take the RT exam. Be sure to take the “letter of authorization” and picture I.D. with you to the testing center. You need a score of at least 76% to pass the RT exam. (The RT exam is based on the VA Core Manual.)

Document Actions
Combined FAQ - EPA Regions

EPA Agency-wide Frequently Asked Questions database.  You can browse through the database, search, or submit a question. Here are a few FAQ links:

Fertilizer Certification

Online Fertilizer Applicator Certification Training


Virginia Cooperative Extension offers a free online training and testing program (Fertilizer Applicator Certification Training, FACT)

Upon successful completion of this online training program, users meet the requirements of becoming a Virginia Certified Fertilizer Applicator as administered through the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS). The link to the FACT website is and complete instructions on how to access the system, enroll in the training, complete the training and testing, and contact information for any questions are provided.

cals logo VCE logo