Personal tools
You are here: Home FAQ General Questions Why are some animal treatments not registered?

Why are some animal treatments not registered?

Why are some animal treatments that look like pesticides not registered by the US Environmental Protection Agency?

Animal drugs are regulated by the FDA (US Food & Drug Administration) under FFDCA (Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act). Animal drugs are products used to control bacteria, fungi, viruses and other microorganisms on or in living animals, as well as any internal parasites of living animals. Products used for control of external invertebrate/insect parasites are considered pesticides and are regulated by the EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency).

This information can be found at 40 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Part 152.5 (definition of pests) and Part 152.6(d) (substances excluded from regulation under FIFRA (Federal Insecticide, Fungicide & Rodenticide Act) - animal drugs).

Source [7/28/06]:

Richard Pont
U.S. EPA/Office of Pesticide Programs (7506C)
Certification and Worker Protection Branch

Document Actions
Combined FAQ - EPA Regions

EPA Agency-wide Frequently Asked Questions database.  You can browse through the database, search, or submit a question. Here are a few FAQ links:

Fertilizer Certification

Online Fertilizer Applicator Certification Training


Virginia Cooperative Extension offers a free online training and testing program (Fertilizer Applicator Certification Training, FACT)

Upon successful completion of this online training program, users meet the requirements of becoming a Virginia Certified Fertilizer Applicator as administered through the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS). The link to the FACT website is and complete instructions on how to access the system, enroll in the training, complete the training and testing, and contact information for any questions are provided.

cals logo VCE logo