Exemplary Pesticide Programs
2005 Award Winners
The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) and the Virginia Pesticide Control Board have recognized Virginia Cooperative Extension agents throughout Virginia for their outstanding participation in the pesticide container recycling program and the pesticide safety education courses. The following agents were recognized for their outstanding performance during 2004-05:
2005 Virginia Pesticide Control Board/VDACS Agent Award Winners
On October 11, 2005, the Virginia Pesticide Control Board recognized 14 Virginia Cooperative Extension agents for their outstanding participation in three programs: pesticide container recycling, pesticide disposal, and pesticide applicator recertification. The following agents were recognized for their outstanding performance during 2005:
Pesticide Container Recycling Program
- M. Watson Lawrence, City of Chesapeake
Pesticide Disposal Program
- Matt Lewis, Lancaster and Northumberland Counties
Commercial and Private Pesticide Applicator Recertification
- First Place - Central Virginia Landscape and Nursery Association Recertification Day, Henrico County, VA January 12, 2005 - Karen Carter, Henrico County; Colleen Calderwood, Hanover County; Paul Davis, New Kent County; and T. Michael Likins, Chesterfield County
- Second Place - Procrastinator’s Pesticide Recertification Training, Leesburg, VA June 23, 2005 - Debbie Dillion, Loudoun County; Adria Bordas, Fairfax County; Paige Thacker, Prince William County; Alison Hectus, Fauquier County; Monica Lear, Arlington County; Cynthia Marston, Frederick County; and Sue Naille, Loudoun County
- Third Place - James River Soil and Water Conservation District Farmer’s Breakfast and Private Applicator Recertification, Ettrick, VA December 14, 2004 - Glenn Chappell, Prince George County
J. Carlton Courter, III, Commissioner of the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, presented each agent with a commemorative plaque and a gift basket of Virginia's Finest products.
This was the seventh year for the recognition program. Extension agents or district directors, Virginia Tech Pesticide Program personnel, or Office of Pesticide Services investigators interested in nominating someone for a 2006 award should contact the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' Office of Pesticide Services at 804/371-6558.
Source: VDACS Press Release (http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov)