About Agnew Hall
Agnew Hall, an academic building in the Ag Quad was completed in September, 1940. It originally housed the home economics main offices until 1968. It was recently renovated (2008) and houses labs and offices for Entomology and Biological Systems Engineering.
Agnew Hall was named for Ella Graham Agnew, the first home demonstration agent in the United States and the first women to serve on the USDA field staff. Ms. Agnew worked on the Virginia Tech campus with the girls' garden, canning, and poultry clubs and later served as Extension agent in Burkeville and in Blacksburg (1914-1919). She developed the first handbook for county home demonstration agents and organized "Tomato Clubs," which reached over 320,000 rural girls and women and evolved into today's 4-H and Extension Homemakers organizations. In 1926, she became the first woman awarded the VPI Certificate of Merit.